Friday, January 9, 2009

This is why I want to cook



Meet Josie. She is almost 5 and a half months old, and is the most amazing thing to have ever happened to me! She makes me want to be a better woman, mother, wife, sister and friend. It was not until she was born that I realized a) that I should learn to cook and that b) I can cook. In fact, for the last few weeks, I have actually been enjoying planning and making dinner for my family! Now I am not talking about fancy 4 course meals here, but simple main dishes that anyone can do!

Poor Eric, we have been living on the same five meals for the last (almost) 6 years. They are as follows: spaghetti with sauce from a jar, macaroni and cheese with hot dogs,
meatloaf (which he secretly hates, but I continue to attempt,) Hamburger Helper (you pick the flavor) and frozen pizza. Crazy, I know. And he has never once complained.

Well those days of boring and bland out of a box/jar are over. I have been taking baby steps and teaching myself to cook for the last couple months. And guess what? I am enjoying it! I think I may love to cook. I love the planning, the hunt for the recipe, the grocery shopping, the prep and mostly, the outcome. I have truly impressed myself with what I can accomplish. I am not sure why I have never approached this before. My memories from growing up all involve someone cooking for my family. And while that was a great privilege, I don't think I learned to boil water until I was 18. So I guess I am a little late to the game. But, I am ready and willing to catch up!

No comments:

Post a Comment